THE COLLEGES PROJECT THEME
Enhancing the capacity of district stakeholders to ensure improved teacher trainees’ practicum.
- Our baseline survey revealed that currently Berekum College of Education does not adequately involve district stakeholders in the practicum process.
- Teacher trainees’ performances during off-campus teaching practice are not very effective.
- Apart from the mentees not getting effective coaching and mentoring support from mentors and lead mentors, the District Assemblies, Traditional Authorities, District Education Offices, SMCs, PTAs etc are also not effectively playing their expected roles in supporting the College to produce quality teachers for the Basic Schools within the catchment area and beyond.
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROJECT
- To prepare adequately for effective practicum
- To enhance the knowledge and skills of key stakeholders; BECOLED, DAs, DEOs and TAs.
- To provide resources for regular monitoring and supervision
MAIN TARGET GROUP
- Teacher Trainees
- Mentors and Lead Mentors
- Traditional Authorities
- PTA , SMCs
KEY STRATEGIES ADOPTED TO ACHIEVE THE PROJECT RESULTS
- Improved practicum process (both on-campus and off-campus)
- Strong collaboration between Berekum College of Education and her District Stakeholders (DEOs, DAs, TAs, and Partner Schools)
SUSTAINABILITY OF THE PROJECT
- The involvement of stakeholders will ensure ownership and participation. The College will also use part of her IGF to organise regular stakeholder review session.
- The College also intends to advocate from the DAs to support off-campus teaching practice.
WHAT IS EXPECTED OF LINK TUTORS
- Liaise between Colleges and Schools of attachment.
- Work closely with lead mentors and mentors to advance the professional development of the trainees.
- Assist in the assessment of trainees to help them achieve the basic goals of School Attachment.
- Hold conferences with lead mentors, mentors and trainees
- Assist trainees to carry out action research and write their project work
- Provide feedback to tutors on trainees who may have difficulty and in effect stand in need of assistance
- Provide trainee with reference books and materials from college library
- Oversee the mentorship exercise in a cluster of schools.
- Write comprehensive report on trainees after a school term’s visit.
- Resolve conflicts that may arise among other players at the school level
- Compliment the efforts of lead mentors and mentors in the professional development of trainees
- To share ideas and experiences on professional growth.
WHAT IS EXPECTED OF PROJECT SUPERVISORS
- Visiting trainees on call basis
- Giving remedial lessons to trainees of low achievements in specific subjects
- Supporting trainees who may trail subjects from the second year examination
- Provide guidance to project work